Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you invest with us or not, we wanted to make these insights available to everyone. We hope you’ll see this FAQ as a list of questions to ask and help decide advisor is right for you.
We use a combination of fundamental and quantitative analysis to uncover indicators that drive our automated trading and portfolio management systems. Our investment management systems rely on downside risk framework. It continuously monitor results and evolve our models based on market conditions. You can learn more about our approach in our Firm Brochure on the SEC website.
You can also learn more about our approach to stock investing here.
You don’t write us a check. We do not have custody of your funds or securities. As part of the onboarding process, the client must open an investment account. Each client assets are held by qualified custodian, Alpaca – FINRA and SIPC member.
To get started:
- Open a brokerage account with Alpaca. Apply for Live Trading account. Approval can take 1-2 business days. Be sure to fund your brokerage account and ensure it meets our account minimum.
- Sign up Xantos Labs Account here. To qualify for Xantos Labs Account, you must pass our Risk Assessment Questionnaire and provide profile details required by law. The entire process typically takes less than 5 minutes. You can do this while waiting for Alpaca account approval.
- On Xantos Labs dashboard, link your Alpaca brokerage account. And add billing info.
- You’re all set!
The trading decisions we make are not for everybody. All potential clients are required to complete a suitability profile at or around the time of executing the agreement. We do not enter into agreement if the client suitability profile fails to meet the required standard.
Yes, we are registered as investment adviser in the State of Texas and California. For Texas, our CRD # is 302005 and certificate of registration is searchable here. You can learn more about us on FINRA Broker Check. Per De Minimis exemption, we are allowed to have up to five (5) clients in most states before we must register in that state. This limitation is not applicable in Texas and California where we are registered.
Xantos Labs is registered as an investment advisor in the State of Texas and California; and can have unlimited clients in those states. For other states, we are generally allowed to have up to five (5) clients per De Minimis exemption before we are required to required to register. It is possible we have hit a limit for your state. If you see this issue, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
A minimum investment of $5,000 for individuals and $500,000 for all others is required. This amount is considerably lower than most investment advisers as we want everyday folks to be able to participate in the stock market. We may waive this minimum at out discretion.
To avoid potential conflicts across clients regarding order placement or allocation, the Firm operates its models independently for each client account; they do not interact with one another.
1% flat management fee of net value of your asset in your accounts. The fee is prorated and charged quarterly, in arrears, based upon the market value of the average daily account balance of the securities portfolio over the preceding quarter. Unlike other investment firms, we don’t charge a complex set of fees and expenses. No performance fees or hidden fees. Just a simple 1%. Wondering if our service is worth this flat fee? Read about our performance.
In accordance with applicable laws and regulations, existing clients may not invite new clients for a fee discount. We also do not participate in arrangements whereby non-clients provide economic benefits to us for providing investment advice or other advisory services to our clients.
No. Proxy voting allows investors to decide important issues such as executive compensation, board of directors etc for companies they invest in. The Firm does not exercise voting authority over Client proxies pursuant to its proxy voting policies and procedures in accordance with Rule 206(4)-6 of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, as amended.
All client accounts trade according to the same strategy. We do not favor some clients over another. There are no differences in trading strategies or fee structures.
Your trust is important to us, which is why we keep things as transparent as possible. With Xantos Labs, there are no hidden fees, no performance fee, and no lockup period. Move your money in and out when you need it— as long as you maintain the minimum balance of $2000.
We don’t keep your money. You need an investment account, and Alpaca is our partner for that. Assets in those accounts are protected by the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC) up to $500,000 (cash claims limited to $250,000). Learn more at https://alpaca.markets/
There are no guarantees, only a rigorous process with historically high performance. The materials on this website are for illustration and discussion purposes only. Links from this website to third-party websites do not imply any endorsement by the third party of this website or of the link; nor do they imply any endorsement by this firm.
Our systematic investing approach gives clients access to historically consistent returns at a considerably lower price. Hedge funds take on more risk than mutual funds and thus offer higher returns but with high barriers to entry. Investing in mutual funds also involves less active management and less insight into big investing decisions.
No, unlike financial planners, we focus solely on management of long-only public equities portfolio. We believe if we are going to do something, we shouldn’t just do it well. You should aim to master it. We strive to spend our energy on the activities that produce the highest positive impact. Our strict focus on investing is part of the formula that has helped us achieve market beating returns.
Our historical investment performance tells the story best.
We invest based on core principles derived from our years of back-testing and experience our investing strategy:
- Fundamental Analysis: We rely on sound economic theory backed by empirical research to select vehicles long-term, repeatable results. Our focus is on companies with sound long-term growth potential, strong leadership and business we understand.
- Systematic Approach: A disciplined, quantitative methodology drives everything we do. We continuously design, refine, test, repeat.
- Portfolio Optimization: Our asset allocation models incorporate down-side risk. We continuously monitor and adapt to market conditions to ensure optimal risk-return trade-off.
- Concentrated Long-term Portfolio: We invest primarily in handful of mostly U.S. companies that have solid growth prospects over a five to eight-year period.
Read our approach to stock investments for more.
- No custody: We trade in an account you fully own, linked to our trading engine. You can log in any time, see your balance, and deposit or withdraw funds.
- No lockup periods: You have the freedom to move or transfer your assets penalty-free as long as you meet the minimum account requirement.
- Transparent Fee Structure: No performance fees means you keep your earnings. Traditional hedge funds charge 2% management fees and additional 20% performance fees. We charge a flat 1% management fee and $0 in performance fees even for accredited investors.
- $0 Commission Trades: We use Alpaca – a commission-free broker/dealer and FINRA/SIPC member.
See our historical investment performance for more detail.
Our audience covers a broad range. Potential clients most likely have some savings toward retirement or a rainy day fund but are looking for better options for growing their money. Our clients want an alternative to letting their cash sit idle in savings, but they don’t have the time, patience, or skillset to find a way to make the market work for them. Their investment objectives might include saving for a house, building resources for future real estate or business investment, learning about investing by seeing how we do it, and generally feeling great about their financial decisions and futures.
Our founders spent years combining their ideas, backtesting and validating different approaches to create the systematic investment strategy that fuels Xantos Labs today.
Learn more about our story.
Our mission is to help clients build a better financial future for themselves and their loved ones through a strategic, systematic approach to investing. Our clients rest easy, knowing their money is working alongside their investment advisor’s own money in a process tested and validated from every angle.
Not at this time. This is because we rely on computer models to trade and effect investment advice. Today, very few retirement accounts support this. In the future, we hope to expand beyond taxable brokerage accounts and support retirement accounts.
Yes, you will receive trade confirmations by email as well as account statements from our custodian for activities in your account when they occur. You can also login in at any time to obtain and review account statements through the Custodian’s website. The Firm will periodically communicate with you about updates to our investment philosophy and/or strategies that affect your account.